In order for foreigners to legally enter Vietnam, they must obtain a visa. The visa must be issued by a Vietnamese visa-issuing authority. Normally, foreigners will have to go to the visa-issuing authority of Vietnam abroad to apply for visas, such as embassies and consulates of Vietnam in foreign countries to process the visa application.
However, in some special cases as prescribed by law, foreigners can receive visas directly at the international airport border gate with the written approval of the Immigration Department – Ministry of Public Security (Official Approval Letter). Accordingly, you can refer to some issues about Vietnam visa on arrival as follows:
What is a Vietnam visa on arrival?
Vietnam visa on arrival is a form of legal visa to Vietnam. Thereby, you will be granted a visa approval letter first, before departure to Vietnam and then stamped visa on the original passport at Vietnam airport.
How to apply for a Vietnam visa on arrival?
01. Fill out the visa application form
Complete the online visa application form in 5 minutes
Minimum required information:
- Full name – The same as on passport
- Date of birth
- Date of arrival
- Visa type
02. Receive visa approval letter via email
After 2 working days (for normal services), you will:
- Receive the visa approval letter via email (attached with Vietnam Immigration Declaration)
Then you need:
- Print the Vietnam Immigration Declaration and fill out the information,
- Prepare 2 passport size photos of 4 × 6 cm and cash for visa stamping,
- Put the papers on the same original passport as one set,
- Present to the customs staff at Vietnam International Airport.
03. Stamp visa at Vietnam airport
Upon arrival at Vietnam airport, go directly to the Visa Counter (VOA) and present the following documents:
- The original passport and visa approval letter
- 2 passport-sized photos
- Vietnamese visa application form
- Visa stamping fee in cash
… to Immigration Officer to stamp the visa on your original passport.
Note: At Vietnamese international airport, foreigners must follow the instructions of immigration officers to make the visa application process favorable.
Vietnam visa on arrival fee
The fee for getting a visa at the international airport border gate is as follows:
- Single entry visa: $25.
- Multiple entry visa:
- Valid for up to 03 months: $50.
- Valid for over 03 months to 06 months: $95.
- Valid from 06 months to 01 years: $135.
Besides, you have to pay a service fee for the service provider.
Note: The process of getting a visa at the international airport border gate does not apply to foreigners who enter Vietnam on a unilateral or bilateral visa exemption.