You can notarize and certify papers for use in the territory of Vietnam at the consulate in Houston, Texas.
For certification, notarization of signatures or papers of authorization, the consulate only process for people who visit the embassy headquarters directly.
In case you cannot go directly to the consulate, you can follow the steps below:
- Sign the document in front of a notary.
- Certify at the State level – Department of State.
- Send by mail to the consulate to legalize US documents to bring back to Vietnam for using.
2. Certification of copy
Vietnamese people who need to authenticate copies from originals of papers and documents (birth certificate, marriage certificate, driving license, university/high school diploma, United States nationality certificate, Green card, passport, power of attorney, identity card, etc.) can send documents by mail.
3. The necessary documents
- The request form for legalization and certification.
- For legalization: Documents notarized by a notary public, registrar or county clerk and certified by State level- Department of state or office of Authentication under the State Department.
- For certification of copy: Send by mail or submit (if coming directly to apply) the original and photocopies of the documents to be certified to the Embassy.
Note: In addition, the consulate offers the document translation service and certifies the translation of documents such as a driver’s license, birth certificate, graduation certificate, marriage certificate, identity card and other types of paper. The consulate has no service for translating technical documents.
Pay by MONEY ORDER, CASHIER’S CHECK or CERTIFIED CHECK to Consulate of Vietnam in Houston, Texas.
Note: If there is a request to return the results by post, the applicant must enclose with the dossier a return-prepaid envelope with a clear address of the applicant. Depending on the requirements of a courier service, the applicant can choose one of three services: Certified Mail, Express Mail, Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation (USPS).
5. Processing time
- Normal: 5 – 7 working days.
- Urgent: 2 – 3 working days.
For more information, please contact the Consular Section of the Embassy:
- Working hours: 9:30 – 12:30 and 14.30 – 17.30 every Monday to Friday, except for Vietnamese and American holidays.
- Phone: (713) 850 – 1233 and (713) 840 – 0096
- Fax: (713) 810 – 0159 and (713) 871 – 0312
- Email: [email protected]