All UK passport holders should read this guide before every trip to Vietnam.
Vietnam visa requirements for UK citizens
The good news for UK citizens is that they are among those who can enter Vietnam without visa (visa exemption).
According to Resolution No. 54/NQ-CP, UK citizens are exempted from visa when entering Vietnam with a time of staying not exceeding 15 days, if meeting the following conditions:
- Having a valid passport issued by a competent agency of the country in which the applicant is a citizen and a valid passport for at least 6 months from the date of entry;
- Arrival date does not fall within 30 days from the exit date of their last stay in Vietnam with visa exemption.
However, this visa exemption policy is not applicable to BNO passport holders.
If wanting to stay in Vietnam longer, or if their arrival date falls within 30 days from the exit date of their last stay in Vietnam with visa exemption, the UK citizens must obtain a visa for Vietnam by either of the following options.
How to get Vietnam visa for UK citizens
At the moment, there are up to 3 ways to get a Vietnam visa for UK citizens, as follows:
- Get visa at Vietnam embassy
- Get visa on arrival
- Get e-visa.
Get Vietnam visa at the embassy
In this way, British nationals will prepare the necessary documents, then submit them to the Vietnamese diplomatic mission in the UK or in a third country. For example, British people in the United States can apply at the Vietnam Embassy in the United States.
Get visa on arrival
This is a form of applying for a Vietnamese visa for UK citizens with many advantages and used by many travelers.
To get a Vietnam visa of this form, the British passport holders must contact a reputable local Vietnam visa service provider capable of sponsoring their customers and partners to Vietnam with many different purposes.
This service provider will ask for permission from the Immigration Department. After that, the Immigration department will issue a visa approval letter allowing such individuals to enter Vietnam and get visa at any of 8 Vietnam airports of Vietnam, consisting of:
- Noi Bai in Hanoi
- Tan Son Nhat in Ho Chi Minh City
- Cat Bi in Hai Phong
- Da Nang in Da Nang
- Cam Ranh in Khanh Hoa
- Lien Khuong in Da Lat
- Can Tho in Can Tho
- Phu Quoc on Phu Quoc island.
At the international border gate, foreigners present their passports and the letter, completed Vietnamese visa application form, 02 passport sized photos and visa stamping in cash to get visa stamped onto original passport.
- Advantages: Fast, meet the urgent needs, the high ability to be granted a visa
- Disadvantages: queue at Vietnam airport to get visa stamped.
As a UK citizen, you can apply for an e-visa to Vietnam if:
- You are entering Vietnam via any of those 33 accepted ports of entry.
- Your stay in Vietnam is no more than 30 days with a single entry.
To get it, you need to follow the guide here: https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/trang-chu-ttdt.