Phu Quoc is the island district of Kien Giang province with the largest area in the country. This is home to the amusement parks and resorts that, each year, attracts a large number of tourists from abroad. In order to create conditions for international tourists to go on holiday as well as develop Phu Quoc’s economy, the government has issued a 30-day visa exemption for those entering Phu Quoc Island.
Who is exempted from visa in Phu Quoc?
Accordingly, foreigners and Vietnamese holding foreign passports who enter, exit and reside in Phu Quoc island are exempted from visas with a temporary stay not exceeding 30 days.
If foreigners enter an international border gate of Vietnam (including by air and by sea), stay in the transit area at that border gate, then transfer to Phu Quoc island, they will be exempted from visa as prescribed.
This has created favorable conditions to attract national tourists to come here for tourism and relaxation.
The conditions for Phu Quoc visa exemption
To get 30 days Vietnam visa exemption for Phu Quoc island, the foreigners must ensure that:
- Their passport must be valid for at least 6 months,
- They are not prohibited from entry or wanted
- They must enter by air or sea.
- They shall stay for less than 30 days
In addition, there are some other provisions on exit, entry and residence of foreigners on Phu Quoc Island such as:
- Foreigners entering Phu Quoc border gate by sea shall carry out entry procedures with the immigration management agency right at the border gate. The foreigners entering Phu Quoc island by air shall carry out entry procedures at Vietnam’s international airports; then stay in the transit area of the airport while waiting for conversion to domestic routes to Phu Quoc island.
- In case foreigners wish to visit Phu Quoc island and then other destinations in Vietnam, or wish to stay in Phu Quoc island for more than 30 days, they may consider getting it issued right on the island by the local Immigration Officer or applying for a visa on arrival.
- Crew members holding valid foreign crew members’ books or crew member’s passport may enter, exit from, and reside in Phu Quoc island during the period when their ships anchor at Phu Quoc island.
- Foreigners who enter Vietnam through Phu Quoc international border-gate shall be granted temporary residence certificate at the border-gate immigration authority with the temporary residence duration suitable to the visa exemption period. The foreigners who are legally residing in Vietnam coming to Phu Quoc Island do not have to carry out procedures for temporary residence certification, but only report temporary residence in accordance with current regulations.
- Foreigners who wish to extend the temporary residence, change the purpose of temporary residence already registered, grant temporary or permanent residence cards, through agencies, organizations, individuals or on duty continue carrying out procedures with the immigration management agency of Phu Quoc Police.